This week, I’ve had an excuse to get back in the type shop….I’ve been working on a broadside for the Melon Celebration at the Homegrown Alabama Farmers Market here on campus. I wanted to do this particular broadside because I love watermelon, and last semester the slogan “Water is the only melon for me” came to me, and I’ve wanted to do a broadside with it ever since.
This past Sunday I started with the main imagery and slogan. My idea was to set the slogan on a curve, printed in green to create the rind part of the melon. The reason is two-fold: it would be a unique way to incorporate text into image, and it offered a challenge to set metal type on a curve. And a challenge it was! I feel like the lock-up took forever. I would almost get it set, and then one piece would slip out of place. Then I’d get one thing set only to have another pop out. But in the end, I had success! Once the slogan was printed, I inked the press up in Red 032, which happens to be the exact color of a watermelon and printed my linoleum block for the melon meat.
Next, I needed to set the body copy, which included all the market information, details about the event, etc. I chose several typefaces for this information but centered them all on the main “Melon Celebration” part. I knew immediately that I wanted to set this text in one of the new wood types that our class bought for the shop with profits from our calendar sales. It’s a strong Rockwell-equesce font and prints like a dream. For the market, date/time, and location details I chose 36 pt Kaufman Script, which as far as scripts go (which are normally low on my list), is one of my favorites. I think the reason I like it so much is because it’s a monoweight face, which means that there aren’t thick and thins within the letters, the lines are all the same thickness…So it ends up feeling a little fresher, less sweet. And then for the event details line, I chose Bernhard, a clean and simple but assertive face.
Once all the type was printed, I got to play a little. A few days ago, I cut out a ton of seed/droplet shaped pieces out of linoleum. I knew I wanted to incorporate them but hadn’t decided how. With all the text in place, I decided to scatter them to fill in and unite the open space. One thing I didn’t anticipate but really like is that the seeds look like celebratory confetti!